The city of Ingleside is experiencing a resurgence of growth, fueled by expanding local energy and chemical industries. The City of Ingleside was incorporated in 1951 and in 1954 the Army Corps of Engineers dredged the La Quinta Channel through Ingleside Point. The chemical industry came to town in 1973 with the opening of the DuPont plant,now Chemours, which provides coolant for 50 percent of the nations automobiles. Followed by OxyChem, and most recently Kiewit Offshore Services and Gulf Marine Fabricators in the heavy marine construction sectors.
The Naval Station was awarded to Ingleside in 1987 as a minesweeper base, which became operational in 1992. With the Navy came a construction boom of hundreds of homes and multiple large apartment complexes to accommodate several thousand personnel. In 2005, the Federal Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission, voted to close Naval Station Ingleside, and many of the military residents relocated to new posts. The last ship left town in 2010. What was originally considered to be a devastating blow to the community has turned into economic opportunity in the private sector, with the purchase of the former base property by Occidental Chemical and Flint Hills Resources, and the current oil and gas boom created by Eagle Ford Shale exploration. The greatest economic impact of the EFS in San Patricio County was Flint Hills Resources’ construction of a pier and dock at the old base site.
Quality of Life: Ingleside’s reputation as a friendly, small coastal community is attracting new families and businesses who enjoy clean streets, quiet neighborhoods, a low crime rate, wonderful parks and great schools. Ample parks and public space offer a great environment for raising a family. In addition, retirees find affordable property, an easy pace of life, excellent regional healthcare facilities, some of the world’s best birding and saltwater recreation at their doorstep. Business owners and industrial developers are opened with welcome arms receiving cooperation and support from City Hall. Ingleside Chamber of Commerce – www.inglesidetxchamber.org.
The City of Ingleside is second most populated city in San Patricio County. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 9,387 people, 13.64% of the county’s total population.
- Median Household Income: $62,953
- Per Capita Income: $22,773
Ingleside Government and Leadership
Mayor Luis Lamas
City Manager Melissa Vossmer
City Hall: (361) 776-2517
Superintendent Troy Microvich
Ingleside ISD: (361) 776-7631